Monday, September 21, 2009

John Esposito, President and Chief Executive Officer Bacardi USA, Inc.

Today, I had the absolute pleasure of speaking to Mr. John Esposito, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bacardi USA, Inc. He told me that he was very intrigued by my goal of speaking to different “C-Level” executives to help graduating college students nationwide. Mr. Esposito has had a very thriving and admirable career in the spirits and wine industry, and gave me some enlightening advice to pass on:

On answering the question, “What has made you successful in your career?”

Mr. Esposito said, “The answer depends on what you describe as success. For me, first and foremost, I love what I do. The beverage alcohol business is exciting and works across a wide spectrum of consumers. Enjoying what you do in business has a lot to do with performance and ultimate success. The second reason for success is to be lucky enough to work with people who take an interest in you and are willing to share insights in order to help you grow. I had this along the way in my career.” He was very persistent that I urge to readers that it is always important to learn. Mr. Esposito said that many of the graduates that are coming to work for Bacardi are coming from great schools where they are constantly told how “good and smart” they are, but it doesn’t matter how smart you are as long as you remain observant. “There are always things you can learn, sometimes not from people you might expect to learn from.” Something he said that stuck with me is that, “Sometimes you learn what not to do… but you still learn. Pick a person that you see as a leader and try and understand what is it about them that makes you want to follow. Don’t be afraid to copy good habits.”

What advice would you give graduating seniors?

Learning is what he also stresses for this question. “Your first couple of jobs are all about learning. Keep an open mind, learn the business you are in and ask questions.” He advices students that there are two areas that he believes will make rookies stand out. “One is the ability to write coherently and be able to be concise when asked for a report. The other is the ability to present your ideas and arguments orally well.” Going along with that idea, my favorite statement of the interview was, “Great ideas need people to make them work and if you cannot express your ideas in a way others can understand and act upon then they are destined to remain only an idea.” He finishes the question by saying, “You can separate yourself from the pack by being able to write and speak well. Take a presentation course, no matter what your major is, it will help you.”

Answering, “Was there a turning point in your career that made you who you are today?”

He describes a moment of defeat that turned into triumph, “I was head of sales for a company that had three different divisions and consolidated into one division. I wasn’t selected for the job and it made me take stock of who I was and what I wanted. Bottom line is it does not always go your way, but if you are honest with yourself about what you need to change to get there, setbacks do not have to be devastating.” Although he admits it took him a few days to get it back together.

The last and final question, “What was your first job out of college and how does that experience relate to your current position?”

I found his response to be very motivating and something that college students can relate to. “Actually my first job was the summer (after) I graduated. I got married the next week and I was a lifeguard and bartender. Both jobs gave me insight into people and how to motivate them. That has been with me my entire career. Leading people is a skill that can be acquired if you are patient enough to observe and select what works for you.”

Mr. Esposito, thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I appreciate your honest advice and kind words. Best luck in all your future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment