Monday, September 14, 2009

David Petratis, President and CEO of Quanex

Throughout my college career, I have been fortunate enough to meet some extraordinary and successful people and David Petratis is one. He is my sorority sister and great friend Natalie’s father. Whether coming to Purdue for a football game with his family or hosting a group of our friends at his home in Houston, I can tell why he is so successful. Besides being very hardworking and dedicated to his career, Mr. Petratis is an extremely gracious and driven individual. He recently took the time to answer some questions for my blog and has some valuable advice.

What has made you successful in your career?

“Success in my career has been driven by the desire for continual learning. Shortly after graduation from college I was told by a senior leader that my college education would be stale in two years. The challenge was to continually sharpen my edges through executive education in my chosen field. From that point I took classes, read books, and seized every opportunity my company provided to enhance my skills. Next, after several years in business, I completed my MBA. Another factor in my success is my willingness to relocate where opportunities for growth existed. It would have been easy to stay close to home; I took the road less travelled. My family and I have now lived in seven states and I have visited 41 countries. The experience to see different areas of the United States and develop a global view has been important in my success.”
Mr. Petratis received his BA in Industrial Management at the University of Northern Iowa and his MBA at Pepperdine University.


What advice would you give to graduating seniors?

“My advice would be to experience the world while you are young. Take risks early; it is much easier to rebound and set new direction in your 20s than it is in your 50s. Some of the most successful people that I know took entrepreneurial risks in their 20s and 30s and it paid off. Understand where the world will be five to ten years from now and plot a course to get there. This is where opportunity lies.”


Was there a turning point in your career that made you who you are today?

“The turning point in my career was the spring of 1993. I was given the opportunity to become a leader in an underperforming business. If I was successful in the turnaround of the company, I would be named President. The challenge meant moving my family from South Carolina to California and fixing a business that was on the edge of bankruptcy. Sight unseen (I never was able to visit the business), I took the challenge and was successful. It was high risk, but the rewards were great.”

What was your first job out of college and how does that experience relate to your current position?


“I was a rare breed that worked while I attended college. This experience opened doors for me in the electrical industry and my first job upon graduation. My first job after graduation was a first-line manufacturing supervisor at Square D Company. On day one, I had 72 direct reports and the responsibility of the highest volume production line in the company. The experience of working with people, communicating, motivating, and solving problems, has been relevant to my entire working career.”

Thank you so much, Mr. Petratis! Your advice is extremely beneficial and I greatly appreciate your help.



No comments:

Post a Comment