Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Troy Alstead, Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Administrative Officer of Starbucks


It is executives like Mr. Troy Alstead that make this blog such a wonderful learning experience. The passion that he has for his career and company is inspiring, especially to college students entering the real world. I am extremely grateful for his positive attitude and beneficial advice. Our interview surprisingly made me look forward to graduation and working for a company where I can also be passionate about their mission statement and goals.

Troy Alstead was named executive vice president and chief financial officer in November 2008. In his position, Alstead is focused on the business and financial strategies, decisions, and execution that will deliver on Starbucks short and long term strategies.

Alstead joined Starbucks in January 1992 when it was a privately held company with just more than 100 stores. Over the years, he has held numerous roles in finance and general management for Starbucks, both domestic and international. Alstead was one of the original members of the Starbucks International team, contributing to the development of the international business from the beginning. In his role as senior vice president, International Finance and Business Development, Alstead was responsible for the financial leadership as well as strategic planning and business development for the international business.

Subsequently, he led the operations and development of the international business as senior vice president and senior lead for Starbucks Coffee International, and later led the company’s business in Europe, Middle East, and Africa as interim president of that regional business unit. Alstead recently held the position of chief operating officer, Starbucks Greater China.

Alstead moved from the international business to the position of senior vice president, Corporate Finance, responsible for accounting and financial reporting, corporate development, investor relations, business planning and analysis, finance systems, global tax, treasury, risk management, and partner and asset protection. He most recently served as senior vice president, Global Finance, responsible for the financial management, decision support, planning, and business development for Starbucks operating units in the United States and international markets.

Alstead graduated from the University of Washington in 1985 with a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration, concentrating in Finance. Before joining the company, Alstead worked for several years in various finance, accounting, and auditing roles, domestically and internationally, for NCR Corporation and Egghead Software. Outside of work he enjoys spending time with his wife, Connie, and their four children.

Mr. Alstead answered the following questions:

What has made you successful in your career?
“A mentor in my life made it clear to me a long time ago that people are what matter most. Not whatever product the company sells, not how much money the company makes. Take care of people, and the rest becomes much easier. Embracing this fact, and working to grow and develop myself with that in mind, has been the single most important contributor to my success.”

“And importantly -- I found a place to work where I love the product, the people, and the impact we have on communities and on the world. Even on bad days, being able to do the work I want to do, in a place I feel good about, has made me want to continue to grow, develop, and help Starbucks be successful.”

What advice would you give to graduating seniors?
“Recognize that your learning does not end with graduation. I encourage you to approach each position you will hold, each project you will be part of, each working relationship you will have, as opportunities to learn and grow. Continue to be students throughout your career.”

Was there a turning point in your career that made you who you are today?
“There was not a single turning point for my career that I would point to, but rather a series of events and experiences that have shaped my growth and development over the years. Those events and experiences have always been driven by a leader I have worked with. One who pushed and challenged me to get out of my comfort zone, to stretch to uncomfortable places in terms of my own leadership style. One who quietly trusted me and gave me exposure and opportunities, before I was ready for them, then supported me to success. One who went out on a limb to advocate for me for a big role.”

What was your first job out of college and how does that experience relate to your current position?
“My first job out of school (with a BA, concentrating in finance) was an entry-level financial analyst position in a Fortune 500 company. The first several years of my career were various developmental finance roles – internal audit, financial planning & analysis, international accounting, special finance projects. These early roles, combined with a series of finance and general management positions over the years, have all contributed to preparing me for my current position as CFO.”

During our phone interview Mr. Alstead said, “When someone loves what they’re doing, they do it a whole lot better. That love is what gives me the energy and the drive.” It was such an inspiring interview and I am truly grateful for his time. Thank you so much, Mr. Alstead, it was a pleasure speaking with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment