Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Blake Nordstrom, President of Nordstrom, Inc.

In my opinion, a humble but strong and optimistic attitude makes a great leader; that is exactly what I believe Mr. Blake Nordstrom to be. It is absolutely encouraging to know that these successful businessmen and women can still make time to advise and share their stories with someone shortly entering the real world. Mr. Nordstrom kindly took the time today to answer these questions and I am greatly appreciative.

What has made you successful in your career?
“I've been most fortunate to have worked with a number of terrific people and leaders over the years. I believe we're the sum of our experiences and sometimes the biggest learning’s come from the most difficult situations. There have been a number of mentors who have gone above and beyond to be of support for me in my career.”

What advice would you give to graduating seniors?
“We're probably guilty as a society of asking people when they graduate what they're going to do for the rest of their lives, when in reality most people will try numerous things and maybe in some cases end up in a career they didn't even envision or one that may not have even existed when they embarked on their journey. Therefore, I think the best advice is to be open to try things, always give it your best effort because it's reflective of your reputation, and associate yourself with people and organizations that you're proud of.”

What was your first job out of college and how does that experience relate to your current position?
“Throughout school and immediately afterwards, I worked both part-time and full-time in the shoe department. Upon leaving the University of Washington, I became a full-time shoe salesperson and a few months later became an assistant manager in the department. I'm fortunate to have worked in many of the jobs throughout our company. It helps me today to support our folks, understand what they're going through, and base decisions upon those experiences.”


His advice and story reminds me of an inspirational quote by Ralph Marston, “Effort gets things done. Patience sees things them through. Both are crucial to success.” Thank you again, Mr. Nordstrom, for being a great role model to student’s worldwide!

No comments:

Post a Comment